- Be a business junkie – know your company’s strategy, how product and services are produced and how they go to market. Love making and selling these things that produce a profit for the company, jobs for people, and return for shareholders.
- Be a true student of the discipline of HR – know HR’s core functions.
- Adopt a production line mentality – The “labor supply chain” – taking raw material (employees, workers), customize/shape that material, ensure finished product meets quality standards.
- Be a Talent Authority – know how to assess strengths and weaknesses of all leaders.
- Be a trusted executive advisor and courageous advocate